You wish you could take back those few minutes when tempers flared, poor judgment prevailed and a few punches were delivered. With this assault charge, penalties such as jail, probation, fines, restitution and community service hang over your head.
You know that you are in trouble. What are your options? What can you do? What justifiable defense do you have working in your favor? There are some possible criminal defense strategies that can help you when charged with assault.
Self-defense and protecting another
Legal defense strategies that just may help you overcome an assault charge include:
- Self-defense: You did not provoke or initiate the assault. The aggressor came after you, forcing you to defend and protect yourself. Had you not, you likely would have sustained injuries.
- Unintentional consequences: It was an unexpected result from the altercation. You did not mean for this to happen. In some cases, the injury result may have a correlation with a medical condition or abrupt medical situation with the other person.
- Protecting another person: Perhaps you came to the aid of another person who was about to become an assault victim. This person needed help, and you intervened.
- Defense of property: You may rely on a reasonable amount of force when protecting your property such as your home from a trespasser.
- Performance of duty or authority: You may rely on reasonable force while performing the duties of your job. For example, nightclubs and restaurants may enlist security employees required to eject unruly people who disturb other patrons.
- Acting under duress: The situation forced you to act after the threat of violence. You essentially admit to the act but claim that you should not be held liable.
Avoiding a criminal conviction is the priority. These criminal defense strategies may help you avoid penalties related to an assault charge.
Seeking a favorable outcome
A reduction or dismissal of an assault charge is your goal. You have legal options that work in your favor, too. By pursuing every angle of defense, you may secure an optimistic outcome.