Richard M. Guarnieri was born in Chicago, Illinois as the second oldest of nine brothers and sisters, three of which have become lawyers as well. When Richard was still a child, his family moved to Frankfort, Kentucky where he was raised and attended Good Shepherd Catholic School and then Franklin County Public Schools until his graduation from Franklin County High School.
Throughout his life, he has attended church with his family at Good Shepherd Catholic Church in Frankfort, Kentucky. In high school, Richard was very active in sports, especially baseball where he continued to play at Centre College. While at Centre College, he was a member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity and played Varsity Baseball throughout his four years in college.
After graduating from Centre College, Richard enrolled at the University of Kentucky School of Law in 1984. While in law school, he clerked in the summers with Stoll, Keenon & Park at their Frankfort, Kentucky office (now Stoll, Keenon & Ogden, PLLC). After graduating law school in 1986, he joined J. Guthrie True at Stoll, Keenon & Park at their Frankfort, Kentucky office where he began representing clients in personal injury, worker’s compensation, family law, and administrative cases.
Early on in his career, Richard found a passion, and success, in representing clients in personal injury and worker’s compensation cases. Within five years of practicing law, Richard obtained his first $1 million dollar settlement, an achievement that many lawyers never obtain in their entire lives. Since then, Richard has represented hundreds of personal injury and worker’s compensation clients and recovered millions of dollars on their behalf. He has prosecuted personal injury claims against national and international corporations, large trucking companies, international automobile companies, national insurance companies, and other large corporate entities and achieved significant success on behalf of his clients.
In 2012, J. Guthrie True, Richard, and William C. Ayer, Jr. formed True Guarnieri Ayer, LLP. Since that time, Richard has continued to represent clients involving claims of personal injury, worker’s compensation, family law, and civil litigation.
Mr. Guarnieri has been recognized in the areas of workers compensation by the publication The Best Lawyers in America. He is also BV® Distinguished Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® for his professionalism and ethics.
Areas Of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Trucking and Car Wreck Litigation
- Products Liability
- Family Law
- Administrative Law and Litigation
- Slip and Fall
- Kentucky, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1987
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1990
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 1994
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1986
- Centre College, Danville, Kentucky
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 00/1983
Honors and Awards
- BV® Distinguished Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Rated Best Lawyer in Lexington, Kentucky area by U.S. News – Best Lawyers – 2006 to 2019
- Awarded Lawyer of the Year by U.S. News - Best Lawyers for the Lexington, Kentucky Area
- 2016 – Workers’ Compensation – Claimant
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Franklin County Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association of Trial Lawyers
- Kentucky Justice Association
- Fellow, Kentucky Bar Foundation