True Guarnieri Ayer, LLP | Attorneys At Law


Call For A Free Consultation: 502-783-7662

Experienced and high quality legal representation for Frankfort and beyond.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  » Campaign to decrease deaths on the road underway

Campaign to decrease deaths on the road underway

On Behalf of | Jun 5, 2019 | Personal Injury |

For many people clicking their seat belt into place when traveling in the car is automatic.

However, seat belt use—or rather, the lack of use—is still a significant factor in many auto accidents.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 84% of Kentucky drivers use their seat belts. That still leaves about 16% of drivers and passengers alike who do not. Not only are individuals in that 16% at significant risk in the event of an accident, but they also might risk getting a ticket.

Police launch most recent “click it or ticket” campaign 

National seat belt laws date back to the 1980s, and the movement of “click it or ticket” began a nationwide effort to increase seat belt use not long after those laws went into action.

Kentucky has a primary seat belt law, which means the police do not need any other reason to pull someone over. If they catch anyone in the vehicle not wearing a seat belt, the driver will receive a ticket and a fine up to $25.

The seat belt law is always in effect. However, lately it has been one of the highway patrol’s priorities. The police hope that the resurgence of this campaign—and the risk of getting a ticket—will encourage all drivers to wear their seat belts and prevent car accidents from turning fatal. 

Do seat belts really save lives?

Out of all the fatalities from car accidents in Kentucky, nearly half of victims do not wear their seat belts. 

The National Highway Safety Administration asserts that wearing seat belts can help save lives. They report that buckling up can minimize the risk of fatality in an accident by nearly 45%. In fact, they state that it is one of the most important choices people can make to protect their safety right when they get into the car.

What can you do? Wear your seat belt.

Many people who opt out of using a seat belt might believe it is a personal choice. Or they might be physically unable to wear their seat belt.

However, taking this critical safety measure can make all the difference in an accident. It is impossible for drivers to predict what will happen when they get behind the wheel. A seat belt is one measure that drivers do have under their control on Kentucky roads to protect themselves and their passengers from an injury or fatal accident.