After an accident that leaves you with serious injuries, you may have a good idea of the financial cost. You can probably open the pile of envelopes that is growing on your dining room table and add up the charges from the hospital, surgeons, physicians, labs, pharmacies and others. You also know how many days of work you have missed, so it will be possible to figure out the financial loss in terms of income.
These are some of the economic damages you may be dealing with from an accident. You can also add the cost to repair or replace your vehicle, and other incidentals. But somehow, that doesn't account for everything you have lost. What about the sleepless nights, the depression or the hours spent in doctors' offices? Can you put a price on your suffering, pain and emotional distress?
Are you eligible?
A motor vehicle accident can change your life. It may be difficult to put into words, but you are not the same person, and your life is not the same for many reasons. Just as you may seek compensation for your financial damages, you may have cause to pursue noneconomic damages for the intangible losses you have experienced. Some general details about your eligibility for filing a claim in the civil courts include the following facts:
- Under Kentucky's comparative negligence system, you may be eligible for compensation even if a court finds you were partially to blame for the accident.
- Your medical expenses must exceed $1,000.
- Your injuries must include a permanent injury, a disfiguring injury or a broken bone.
- You may file a personal injury claim, including emotional distress, if the accident claimed the life of a loved one.
- The law places no limit on the amount of compensation a court may award you if your claim for pain and suffering damages is successful.
The statute of limitations for seeking personal injury compensation in Kentucky is brief, in some cases only one year. If you have spent a great deal of time with your physical recovery, your window of opportunity may be closing. Seeking legal advice at your earliest opportunity may set you on the path to regaining some peace of mind as well as financial relief.